Method vs. Mrs. Meyers...some of my favorite non-toxic cleaners!

What is the thing we do MOST, hate most, and is most toxic to our bodies in our home?  Cleaning!  When I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia around ten years ago, I started a journey to detoxify my body...the journey continues.  After starting with food, I realized that shampoo, lotions, and soaps all needed to be changed.  One day I was very sore and realized that I had been cleaning with harsh household cleaners the day before...so, the next leg of the journey started!

There are many home remedies on the market, and some are excellent.  At some point I will publish the "best of the best," but for now let's take the easy route...stuff you can buy!  My two favorite non-toxic, sustainable, useable brands are Mrs. Meyers and Method.  Both brands use "earth-friendly" practices and non-toxic ingredients, and have wonderful cleaning power.  Here is my personal review of each brand:

Mrs. Meyers' Clean Day

Products I have used
Liquid Dish Soap, Countertop Spray, All Purpose Cleaner,  Surface Scrub, Surface Wipes, Bathroom Cleaner, Glass Cleaner, Toilet Bowl Cleaner


Pros 
  • Cleaning power!  All of Mrs. Meyers' products are tremendous at cleaning just about whatever you throw their way.
  • Huge variety of scents, if you find one you like, you can use it all over the place.  The scent usually dissipates quickly after the product dries, but Mrs. Meyers sells candles if you want it to linger.  All natural essential oils are used for the scent.  Also, they have cool scents like basil (nice for the kitchen) and lavender (for the bathroom) if you like that sort of thing!
Cons 
  • Price.  The products are pretty expensive, BUT there are ways to get around this sticking point.  The All Purpose Cleaner is concentrated, and can be used as the kitchen counter spray, thus saving quite a bit if you have a spray bottle.  I dilute it 3:1.  Also, you can purchase most of these products from Amazon.com by subscription--free shipping, great savings, and automatic delivery at fixed intervals...works great!  If you purchase this way, it is less expensive than Wal-Mart!
  • Scent.  Both a pro and a con...my husband is very sensitive to the essential oils, and it makes him sneeze and sometimes causes a slight headache.  If I clean when he is not home, no worries.

Method

Products I have used
Antibacterial Kitchen Cleaner, Antibacterial Bathroom Cleaner (Spearmint), Daily Shower Spray, Glass and Surface Cleaner, Squirt and Mop Hard Floor Cleaner (Lemon Ginger), Good for Wood Daily Clean, Dish Pump, Marine Naturals Refreshing Body Wash, All-Purpose Cleaner

Website
http://methodhome.com/

Pros
  • Generally excellent cleaners.  Best product, hands down, is the Daily Shower Spray--keeps my shower spotless with an occasional wipedown.  Love it!  The Floor Cleaner is also terrific, and smells wonderful.  The other products are good as well, although I tend to like the Mrs. Meyers all purpose cleaner best.
  • Best scents--no headaches for my husband!  They smell wonderful, not overpowering, with absolutely no chemical smell.  I LOVE the scents!
Cons
  • Expensive!  Very expensive!  Again, I have found a way around this...here is my secret...the website www.soap.com has good prices on Method products to begin with.  Sign up for their emails and get coupons.  Look on www.retailmenot.com and search for coupons for soap.com.  You can usually find 20% off and free shipping, and sometimes 30% off and free shipping if you order over $49. of product.  Then order refill sizes.  You can order about a 6 month supply for less than 1/3 of what you would pay in a grocery store.  Totally worth it!
I have also tried Seventh Generation dishwashing liquid.  It works, but is not as good as the other two.  That is my take...Which household cleaners have you tried in your nontoxic home?

Comments

  1. I use Mrs. Meyers all purpose cleaner. I found a huge bottle at Walmart last summer (with a $2 coupon attached!) and I am about 2/3 done. I only use 2 capfuls and fill the rest of the spray bottle with water. I use it for cleaning everything from walls to floors. I use microfiber towels so that helps if anything is caked on. I plan on making my own cleaning supplies once the Mrs. Meyers is gone. I just use a damp microfiber cloth to wash windows and mirrors. I also use buy baking soda and vinegar in bulk and use that for a lot of different things :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz, I am going to start using less in the spray bottle too, since it seems to work so well for you! The microfiber clothes are fantastic too--I found a package with different cloths for different uses. They had different textures, and seem to work really well. If I can find the brand, I'll let you know, I have been using them for over a year and love them. Baking soda and vinegar are great cleaning products, too, they will show up in a future blog posting!

      Delete

Post a Comment