Making Soap...Part 3...An Easy Way and Supplies!

Some soap that I packaged Wednesday this week--Christmas Spice, Baby Lavender, and Sage Lemongrass!
If you have been reading along and are interested in making soap and have children or do not want to be bothered with lye and the danger involved, there is another option...melt and pour.  All you do is purchase a "melt and pour" base of your choice, melt it in the microwave or a slow cooker or on the stove, add fragrance, and mold.  Voila!  Soap made simple!

There you have it...anyone, literally, can make soap.

Now...you ask...Where and how can I purchase supplies to make soap?

There are many, many sources; and the whole process can be somewhat confusing when you are new to the process (and even if you are not!).  Here are some Internet sources and links (in the interest of full disclosure, I will let you know that I am an affiliate with some of the suppliers, and your purchases help support this blog!):

Melt-and-Pour, Oils, and Fragrance:

For reasonably-priced supplies, including a few fragrances and melt and pour bases, try Candlewic (I have an order being shipped from this company at this very moment!): Candlewic.com - Popular melt and pour bases, essential oils, natural additives, soap dyes, and molds.

Another source for wonderfully rich ingredients is From Nature with Love

 

 Goat's Milk:

There are a few possible sources for goat's milk:  a local farm or farmers market, OR you can try a health food store.  If you are able to find "past sale date" goat's milk, that will work just fine as long as it is not sour or rancid.
 

Lye (Sodium Hydroxide):

I have purchased lye from Tractor Supply Company--they carry Roebic 100% lye.
Another great source is a soap supply company called Brambleberry.  They have excellent ingredients and lots of great resources for soap making!
 
By the way, I still have some soap for sale, if you are interested, feel free to contact me at sustainablesandy@mail.com and I will let you know more about pricing and payment.  As I gear up for the farmer's market season, I am more than happy to share what I have so that I can purchase more supplies, and I do ship my soaps! 
 
...so will you try your hand at soaping?  If so, what kind of soap will you try making?  Melt-and-pour, or old-fashioned cold process?
 

Comments

Popular Posts